What’s on in SA Jewish Community
JEWISH REPORT STAFF
Today Friday (May 30)
* UZLC hosts David Saks on “South African Jewry and the 2014 Elections”. Venue: Our Parents Home. Time: 12:45 – 14:00. Cost: Members R50, non-members R55. Contact: Gloria, 072-127-9421 or (011) 485-4851.
Sunday (June 1)
* RCHCC rescreens by popular demand the documentary, “The Ritchie Boys”. Venue: Venue: Clive M Beck Auditorium. Time: 19:30. Donation: R70 (incl refreshments). Booking: Hazel or René (011) 728-8088/8378, a/h: (011) 728-8378, or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or www.greatpark.co.za
* Les Weil Humanitarian Trust hosts a presentation and documentary by Ilan Ossendryver on “The Last of the Remaining Jews of Ethiopia”. Venue: Home of Dori Weil, 30 Saxon Road, Sandhurst. Time: 15:00. Donation: R150 pp (incl tea). Proceeds to assist disadvantaged Ethiopian children living in Israel. Booking essential: (011) 645-2591 or Barbara at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Second Innings hosts Kathy Kaler, CEO of ChaiFM on “A Morning with Kathy Kaler”. Venue: The Gerald Horwitz Lounge, Golden Acres. Time: 10:00 for 10:30. Cost: R20 members, R30 visitors. Contact: Linda Fleishman or Hylton Marks on (011) 532-9616.
* JWBS has a book fair and morning market at Jabula Recreation Centre, Sandringham from 08:30 onwards. Many exciting stalls, fun for the kids, good food and thousands of well-sorted second-hand books. Enquiries: (011) 485-5232.
Monday (June 2)
* WIZO Tzabar hosts a Shavuot morning filled with cheese and inspiration. Roz Basserabie will speak on ”Being a Woman… Your Power and Your Magic”. Time: 10:00. Cost: R60. RSVP for catering purposes and venue details to: Ayala, (011) 882-9875 or 082-412-2269, Graciela, (011) 882-6060 or 082-925-0924.
Tuesday (June 3)
* Beit Emanuel in Parktown hosts a Shavuot service followed by a light dairy meal and cheesecake competition. Join us afterwards for an evening of study, music and identity with guest speakers Rabbi Joel Oseran and many others such as Rabbi Sa’ar Shaked, Prof David Bilchitz, Prof Merle Williams etc. Time: 18:00. Contact: (011) 646-6170.
Thursday (June 5)
* Join WIZO every Thursday for a “Lunch & Learn” shiur with Rabbi Michael Katz. Venue: Beyachad. Time: 13:00. Information: WIZO office (011) 645-2515.