What’s On in SA Jewish Community
SA JEWISH REPORT STAFF
Today, Friday (April 1)
* Bet David Kids Club provides fun Shabbat activities for children ages 3 – 10. Time: 18.00 – 19.00. Enquiries: Kendyll – email@example.com. Bet David Kabbalat Shabbat Service from 18:00 – 19:00. Venue: Bet David, Morningside. Enquiries: Sharon (011) 783-7117.
* Sydenham Shul hosts a Community Shabbat Dinner, with special “Sinai X” guest, international speaker Rabbi Y Y Jacobson from New York who will speak on “Power, Wisdom, Wit and Humour”. Adults: R230, children (3-11): R120. Booking: Shul office (011) 640-5021 or online www.sydshul.co.za
* UZLC has its speaker Mo Skikne, on “A short history of Gen (Jannie) Smuts”. Venue: Our Parents Home. Time: 12:45 – 14:00. Contact: Gloria 072-127-9421 or (011) 485-4851.
Saturday (April 2)
* Bet David Torah Study and light breakfast. Time: 08:45 – 09:45. No charge. Youth service and activities for children ages 3 – 10. Time: 10:00 – 12:00. Shabbat morning service. Time: 10:00, followed by a brocha.
Monday (April 4)
* UJW adult education division hosts Geoff Sifrin, journalist and former editor of Jewish Report, on “The Jewish Press”. Venue: 1 Oak Street, Houghton. Time: 09:30. Donation: R35. Contact: (011) 648-1053.
Wednesday (April 6)
* Cape Town Holocaust Centre hosts the film screening of documentary “Turkish Passport”. Entrance is free; donations welcome. RSVP essential: (021) 462-5553 or firstname.lastname@example.org . Security: Please bring a form of identification.
* Second Innings hosts a film showing the moving story of “Nicky’s Family” at the South African Museum of Military History. Time: 09:15 for 09:45. Cost: R90 (incl tea and snacks). Booking is strictly in advance. Enquiries: Booking: Laura Sher (011) 786-5109.
* Chev Social Services Enrich 2016 presents “The Big C: The Road Ahead: Understanding the Journey after Diagnosis” with Carin Marcus (social worker), Michelle Goodman (founder of the DL Link) and Dr Rapoport (oncologist). Venue: Jewish Life Centre, 2 Gayre Drive, Strathavon.Time: 19:45. Cost: R50: Light refreshments served. Booking: Sharon (011) 532-1696 or email@example.com. CPD points available at R100.
* Cape Town Holocaust Centre shows the film: “Turkish Passport”. Turkish ambassador will be attending. Venue: 88 Hatfield St, Gardens. Time: 18:00. Entrance free, donations welcome. Light refreshments will be served. RSVP: (021) 462-5553 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Second Innings hosts an outing to the South African Museum of Military History for the film, “Nicky’s Family”. Time: 09:15 for 09:45. Cost: R90 (incl the film and tea and snacks). Booking is strictly in advance. Enquiries: Book with Laura at (011) 532-9701.
* UJW adult education division hosts Dr Lorraine Chaskalson, formerly of Department of English at Wits, on “The Written Word Leaps off the Page” Venue: 1 Oak Street, Houghton. Time: 09.30. Donation: R35. Contact: (011) 648-1053.
Thursday (April 7)
* Bet David’s weekly discussion group with Rabbi Adrian Schell covering “Rabbi, What is Kosher? – A Progressive view on Kashrut”. Time: 18:00 – 19:30. No charge. Venue: Bet David, Morningside.